...
...

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Hey so not a lot of time this week but here's the run down:  We had to give our non member who we were teaching to the Elders, we had to tell several people what opposition was, and we lost our investigator Simon after we had a stellar lesson that made him start to accept truth.  And then he freaked out.  We also taught a homeless woman who showed up at church. She was brought by a homeless member of the III ward.  She told me about how when her belongings were stolen from her last night, she just prayed and told God that she knew he'd somehow turn this into a good thing, even though she couldn't imagine being homeless as a good things right now.  She had more strength than me.  We also have a solid Muslim looking into the gospel- which I love.  You know?  You can really tell that an non member is ready for baptism when you can talk with them like a member.  That's what I've noticed.  I love seeing that change in people.

In other news: 

My companion caught the kitchen on fire. 
True story. We were in the middle of the lesson in the chapel when we head a rummaging from the kitchen.  And then a yelp.  All of a sudden, the window between the kitchen and the chapel flew open and smoke was billowing out! T hick black smoke poured into the chapel.  A silhouette was in the kitchen;  We could only see it's arms flapping up and down like a traffic director at the airport.  The oven mitts were the flags. In time, we saw it was Brother Moore who was coughing on the smoke. Turns out Sister Allred wanted to "toast" some tortillas right before the lesson and had forgotten about them. Shameful. Brother Moore stayed pretty calm about it, but she was mortified. 

Baptismal Goals: 

So look, we have to get people to church so many times and living the commandments and interviewed before they can get baptized. And no one is eligible to even get baptized this week.  Progressing? yes. eligible? no.] So. We asked our district leader, "look. Do we have to put one on our goal this week? If it really is impossible." He said, "Look, I want you to rate your faith on a scale of 1 to 10. Then write that number in the box." 
Best explanation I've ever heard about goals. ;) 

Michael's Miracle: 

K so we've been working with recent convert Michael lately. He hasn't been at church because he just got a new important job that makes him work Sundays. He said he hadn't been praying about it because he didn't want to bother God. -__-. So we had a talk. Long story short, he half-heatedly asked him boss for Sundays off and BAM all Sundays are now off. lol. Sometimes people forget that going to church is a commandment and that Heavenly Father so easily helps you. 

My companion beats me at night: 

So the other night- well first of all; I'm totally innocent (like usual). Don't let the story I'm about to tell you fool you. But, the other night, we're praying and the lights are off.  It's pitch black- there are no windows where we sleep.  And I have the top bunk above Sister Allred.  So, I finished my prayers... and I was wide awake.  And I knew Sister Allred was still saying her prayers because I hadn't heard her get into bed yet. So, I leaned over and went PHU-TOOEY!  I didn't actually spit (of course), but I made the sound. Sister Allred freaked out.  Ohhh it was so funny.  Until, in her flailing and reckless arm swinging, she hits me in the face! 
She settled down and sheepishly asked, "Hey is your face okay?" I said, "Ya. . . the left side of my lips are little slower than the right." 


 Adventures with a Japanese companion: 

My Japanese companion, Sister Imai,  is so so funny and cute. She is good at English but idioms are still hard for her. This week she got a text and said, "I know the words but.. What does it mean?" I looked at the message from the district leader and it said: "I think they're beginning to rub off on us. Don't been green with envy; We're two peas in a pod. But hey, we'll repent. Let's bury the hatchet and let sleeping dogs lie." Hahaha. It took twenty minutes to explain that message. 

Also, some things culturally- she just doesn't know how they work yet. For example, she tried to call someone named Zach this last week. She got his voice-mail. So the voice-mail started recording and she started to talk:
Her: Hey Michael! We- oh wiat. Oh no. I mean Zach... ..[turns towards us while talking into the phone] . . . how do I start over? 
Us: What? You cant. 
Her: No, how do I start message over? 
Us: You can't! You're still recording!
Her: . . .uh oh. . . What now? 
Us: [whisper] hang up!
Her: Uhhh no... so Zach. Listen, we know your name. Could you call us back at blah blah blah. 

oh goodness. 

So we do a lot of contacting around the college here. Gawww. So This week I wrote down all the best rejection I got. People can be pretty creative with turning you down, you know? Never underestimate the creativity of the mob. 
5 most tactful street rejections this week: 
  1. "If destiny brings us together again, I will." [Then we saw him later that day]. "I do not think destiny has the same meaning in your language as mine."
  2. What's that? Sorry I think I hear my friend mentally calling me. 
  3. Sorry sweetie, I'm not ready for commitment. 
  4. So if I stand here I have to listen to you.. right? 
  5. "I'm a Christian." "Yea, we are too." "Oh... well I'm Jewish." 
Anyways, I think it's interesting that so many people think that if God did not do what they wanted, if God did not fit to their perfect ideal, or if they just can't plain understand something, they think God doesn't exist. But really, how many times does your parent give you exactly what you want? Or do what you think they should when you were a child? A perfect God would rarely see things from our angle; He has so much more wisdom than us. 

The thing is, there either is a God or there is not. You can logically prove both. You can. But if there's not a God, he won't answer your prayer. And if there is a God, he might choose to answer you're prayer. So, pray. That's the only way you'll know at all, isn't it? And the best part is that whenever you pray, God is close. And God listens. He doesn't just here, he listens. In fact, he says, "I answer." Right in D&C he says again and again, "I answer." Because you're worth infinitely more than the universe. And I know he answers. 

Faith in God and a knowledge of God bring hope. And if we have hope, our entire world changes around us. Everything looks different when we choose hope. Hope can change our very natures. God, or Heavenly Father, so eagerly wants to give us hope. And give us knowldge, and light, which groweth until the perfect day. 

So if you want to know something, don't forget to ask. 

May God bless you all. I love you! 

Pictures this week: 
This is Sister Imai and I studying at night


post signature

No comments :

Post a Comment